Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Know I Can...by Jessica


On Sunday I received an email from our veggie farm that, because of the upcoming rain, we could come glean as many tomatoes as we would like. I knew I wanted to go pick tomatoes...but I also knew that my freezer was full and that if I was going to go out there I would need to be prepared to can them. I wanted to NOT want to pick tomatoes because I knew it would be a lot of work but Anya and I couldn't help ourselves and we thought we'd go out there - check it out - pick a few tomatoes....

...and I came home with 50 pounds of tomatoes.



That's a lot of tomatoes.

Fifty pounds of tomatoes canned = 36 pints plus 2 quarts.




Can't tell you how they taste yet, but though it was a lot of work {a LOT} I feel accomplished today and am sure we will enjoy them all winter long.



p.s. Thanks Juli for letting me borrow your canning supplies, could not have done it without it!!!

p.p.s One day I'll get a new sweatshirt.


6 comments:

Jessica Boudreau said...

WOW! Good for you! I swear I must be the only wife in the world who doesn't buy canned tomatoes. Eric doesn't like tomatoes so I rarely cook with them except like tomato sauce for spanish rice :) Well they look yummy! How long did it take to do that many? I still have yet to tackle a canning project! Maybe now that I'm having a baby I'll get to tackle more of those "suzy homemaker" projects!

Justine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justine said...

Jessica Boudreau...CONGRATULATIONS on your baby!!! When are you due?

and yes, you might be like canning Jess and become super suzy homemaker after your baby but then again, you could be like me...

Jessica said...

Canning took forever. Like all day. At about pound 35 of tomatoes I wanted it to be over.

How are you feeling?

Becky said...

You are my hero...What a project!!! I have promised to myself that next year I will do that. I really like the idea of canning your own tomatoes for sauce and such. I bet they will be SO yummy :)

Jessica Boudreau said...

Justine... thanks, baby is due March 22nd. It's great timing as fall is just starting to set in and the weather is getting cool and baby will come as soon as the weather starts to get warm! And yes i probably won't be the suzy homemaker but i can dream can't I? :)
Jess... Feeling a lot better now excpet I'm fighting a cold which is a bit of a bummer. Still tired but I can get my butt off the couch most days and actually get stuff done.