Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Won ton soup recipe...by Jessica

I've thought about writing a cookbook called the "How to Cook without using a Cookbook, Cookbook" because I think everyone's got it in them to experiment and make it the way you like it.  Besides that I can't measure, or follow directions and I definitely fail at giving directions so that's that.

Therefore, this won ton soup recipe which some of you have asked for, are more like...guidelines.

I say "ish" when I'm not exactly sure how much I put in.

Soup base:
1 lemongrass stalk with two outer leaves removed, pounded and chopped finely
1 3" chunk fresh ginger, grated finely
3 cloves garlic, through garlic press
2 TBS (ish) red curry paste
(Alternatively, I have not chopped the lemongrass, ginger, garlic finely but I will add them whole or in large chunks, and then pull them out after simmering for a few hours.  I usually NEVER use curry paste either so, that's optional.)





Saute these 4 ingredients in 1-2 TBS vegetable oil until very fragrant, then add:
10-12 cups broth (I didn't have any broth so I added a couple ramen noodles seasoning packets).
3 TBS (ish) soy sauce
2 TBS (ish) fish sauce




Let simmer as long as you like.
Taste and add more of whatever!  Sometimes I add a teeny bit of sugar, sometimes I add a tiny bit of seasoned rice vinegar, sometimes I add some Japanese fish base soup stock. You can't go wrong.  If it gets too salty...add some water!



Won ton filling:
1/4 lb ground pork
1/2 can water chestnuts, chopped finely
3 green onions, chopped finely
1" chunk of ginger, grated finely
2 TBS oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
Mix well.  This is where I would say to taste a smidge and see if it's salty enough but I don't want to freak anyone out.



Wrap the won tons.






Chop some veggies.



Get the broth boiling like crazy.  Add wontons (one at a time) and delicately stir.  I've really messed up my wontons by adding them to the broth without the broth being hot enough.  And sometimes the wontons fall apart and I don't know why.

Add veggies to boil briefly.

Top with sliced green onions.  Enjoy.




1 comment:

Mirjam de Rijk said...

Thank you, that soup base looks even good without the wontons and just veggies! Going to try that!