Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Gulp.....by Justine



Oh boy. I better get cooking. If I am going to be halfway through my recipes by July I need to do finish 80 recipes. So, um. That means I need to do 40 recipes in June. That's right. 40 as in 'Forty', the Big '4' '0', Four Tee. Apparently if you want to see me this month you better come to my kitchen.

On the bright side, I cooked 11 recipes in May. Yeah! Doesn't beat my personal best of 15 though.

Here are some things that I really wanted this month but did not buy and my solution:

Temptation #1:
Watercolor book for Phoebe (you know the kind that has a little color already in drawing and you add water? Apparently they don't exist anyway)
Solution:
Used old coloring books, then looked deeper in our craft cabinet and found a watercolor pad of paper. Hmmm....wonder what else is in there?

Temptation #2:
Camping Cast-iron pan or griddle
Solution:
Garage Sale! - Cast iron griddle, a little rusty but with a little elbow grease looks great.

Temptation #3:
Sleeping bags
Solution:
Bought two new ones. You know how I feel about those. The dilemma came when I checked out and they said "if you spend just $7 more you could get a coupon for $25 off your next purchase." They lady must have thought I was crazy scrambling around looking for a $7 consumable item, then remembering there would not be a "next purchase"!

Temptation #4
While killing time down at the Green we went into the bookstore. I came across a book that sort of summarizes my garden right now. It was all about container gardening. The poor salesperson tried her hardest to get us to buy a book or two but Malia told her bluntly "We'll probably just get it at the library". Oops. Sorry about that. I really hate not supporting local businesses.
Solution:
Malia was right. Sure enough within a few days my own library copy of "The Container Gardener's Bible" was in my hot little hands.






No comments: