Thursday, February 24, 2011

Simplifying your Finances....by Justine


If you are like me, making and especially sticking to a personal/family budget seems like an unsurmountable task. Going in a little bit of a different "Organizing and Simplifying" direction, I thought I'd share with you my latest endeavor to simplify my personal finances...let's not even mention business finances! Mint.com is a great (FREE!) website enabling you to see all your bank and credit account transactions and balances in one place - on their website and/or mobile app.



In the old days, I would tediously import my transactions from my bank into Quicken then categorize each transaction but Mint automatically updates your information every night and does a pretty darn good job of categorizing it for you (some double checking is necessary - I love how it categorized my purchase at the clothing store "Francesca's" as "Alcohol/Bar").

The most valuable part, of course, is Mint's budget feature. Set up a budget amount for any category and Mint will alert you via an e-mail or an alert on your mobile app when you are close to going over your budget. Who doesn't need a little help like that?!

I know there are other financial apps and websites out there that I haven't investigated. Anyone have something else they like for budgeting and keeping an eye on their accounts?




5 comments:

Juliana said...

Oooh! That is awesome! I will have to give it a try!

Bobby Thomas said...

now that very Cool, thank u Justine

Unknown said...

I love Mint but I also use Thrive, http://www.justthrive.com/ I really like the information and advice they provide. I'm kind of in limbo and can't decide which tool I like better.

Jessica Boudreau said...

I use Mint too and love it! Except they dont have one of my credit which is a bummer!

threebodes said...

I get all those notices on my phone from Mint too...but they're always telling me I'm broke...