Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bread Bag...by Jessica


Juli found me a bread bag at the thrift store and it's solved all my homemade bread issues. No longer does my bread go stale before we can even make one sandwich out of the loaf and something about the bag makes the bread's crust soft and pliable instead of hard and crusty.

THANK YOU JULI

I'm sure at some point I'll get sick of just whipping up a loaf of bread {it is admittedly a process}, but I like that I know what we're eating. And the fact that it does go stale pretty quick makes me wonder what's in the store bought stuff that makes it last for so long.

I'm not going to go on about it though because my attention span is short so we're just enjoying homemade bread while it lasts. Here's my recipe in case anyone wants to give it a whirl.

{p.s. I thought I could just wing it, but bread is definitely for sure one of those things you need a recipe for and you must follow it. After several dense fallen loaves, I learned my lesson}

In a large bowl whisk together:
1.5 Cups fairly warm but not boiling hot water
2 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp yeast
2tsp sugar or honey

Add:
4 Cups flour
2tsp salt

Mix together until it forms a dough and knead for a bit and add more flour if dough is super sticky {I don't do this as long as I should as I get easily bored. Try to give it a go for at least 2 minutes.}

Cover with a dishcloth and let sit in a warmish spot for 1 hour. Punch down and knead for a few seconds then form into a loaf and place in loaf pan. Let rise for 30 minutes, then bake in a 375° oven for 45 minutes.

Slice, slather with butter and devour.


Anyone else have some {foolproof} bread recipes to share?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

that actually sounds like maybe i could do it. maybe. do you have a favorite flour?

Jessica said...

Rachel, I've been thinking that I need to experiment with different flours...the only flour I've used is the flour you can get at Costco in the big ole (25#?) bag. And you could totally do it, if I can - you can! I'm a pretty lousy baker!