Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lice Sarad...I mean Rice Salad....by Justine

Ewww gross. Now you really don't want to read this post do you? Thats's okay since there seems to be only like 4 people reading it I feel like I can write whatever I want.

I love it when I get a new recipe that is so easy, so good that it will be made at least once a month from now on. This one was a recipe to add to that list. Rice Salad (pictured top of plate). Recipe to follow in comments.

A few other Jamie O recipes that I've already made more than once are the Italian Spring Veggie Soup (see earlier post) and the Indian Aloo Gobhi (pictured far left)...funny they are all vegetarian. I don't think I've posted about the Indian dish yet. I will post that recipe in comments too. What I love about these recipes is that they are the kind of throw together with what you've got in your fridge or pantry dishes. I've taken the liberty to simplify the recipes to make them even quicker than the originals.

Gotta love this face of Phoebe's. It reminds me of this one Malia found in her crepe the other day....

4 comments:

Justine said...

Rice Salad (Serves 4)

1 1/4 cups mixed long grain and wild rice (I used one TJ's frozen bag of jasmine rice and 1 TJ's frozen bag of brown rice)
a few sprigs fresh basil
a few sprigs of fresh mint
a few sprigs fresh italian parsley
8 oz. roasted red bell peppers from a jar
1/2 fresh red chile (I left out)
1/4 cup lemon dressing (see below)
1 lemon

Lemon Dressing
Combine 6 tablespoons EVOO withpinch salt pepper and
juice of 1 lemon


Cook rice and cool.

Pick all herbs off stalks and finely chop.

Finely chop bell peppers.

Halve, see and finely chop chile.

Mix all chopped ingredients with rice.

Zest lemon over salad, add dressing mix well. Season with S&P as needed.

Serve room temp.

Aloo Gobhi (serves 4)

1 med. onion
2-3 fresh green chiles, to your taste (once again. I leave out.)
a thumb sized piece of fresh root ginger
small bunch cilantro
1/2 cauliflower
1 pound potatoes
veg. oil
pat of butter
1 tbs. black mustard seeds (I didn't have this.)
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cumin
2 tbs. unsweetened shredded coconut (I couldn't find unsweetened so used sweetened - which I though was great)
1 can garbanzo beans (I added this ingredient to the recipe)
salt/pepper
1 lemon

Finely chop onion and ginger. Pick cilantro leaves and finely chop the stalks. Break cauliflower into florets and cut middle stem into cubes. Peel potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch cubes.

Heat oil and butter in large pan. Add onions, chiles, ginger, cilantro stalks, mustard seeds, turmeric and cumin. Cook for 7-10 minutes until softened and golden. Stir in Cauliflower, potatoes and cocount. Season with S&P and add 1 2/3 cups water. Bring to boil then turn down and simmer with lid on until all veggies are cooked and soft. Check regularly and add water if its getting too dried out. At this point I added a can of garbanzo beans (protein for Malia my vegetarian).

NOTE: Jamie's recipe calls for making this in a oven proof pan and at this point heating in a 425 oven for 20 minutes. I just cooked it for another 10 minutes on the stove with the lid off and served it.

Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve with lemon wedges.

Juliana said...

AWESOME!!! I love finding faces in my food too!!!

Jessica said...

My head started to itch just by reading the title! Ha ha!

Bobby Thomas said...

hmm Jusine

well by the photo or The Phoebe scale:
was it A 1, 2 or 3 it look's like a 1 to me

1. Wouldn't eat it
2. Gagged it down
3. Reluctantly ate it