Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Seconds.....by Jessica


It's one of those week's.

The one where I look at the calendar and my mind spins with how to do it all.

But because I always like to throw just a little something else in the mix, this week I'm also going to be getting a flat of "seconds" tomatoes from the farm where we get our weekly CSA box.

Kind of a silly thing to do on one of "those week's" as with tomatoes that are bruised or have cuts - you have to move pretty quickly. It just can't sit on my counter until next week.

So - I did some research on freezing tomatoes instead of canning. One of my goals for the end of this year and next is to have enough tomatoes frozen/canned so that I don't have to buy cans of diced tomatoes - a definite staple in my pantry. Ideally, i think the tomato will taste better if it's canned, but because it's one of those week's I'm going to give freezing a try.

Has anyone else frozen tomatoes and have any tips for me? I'm planning on peeling them, cutting out bruised areas, squeezing out the juice and seeds, dicing them and popping them in freezer bags.



p.s. my garden tomatoes are getting big and plentiful...but a little watery. I think I'm watering them too much. They will be good for sauce making though - another item for the freezer!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Freezing sounds like a great idea. Don't have any tips, but I think I'm gonna try it. My grandma used to make a bunch of sauce and freeze it. It was always yummy.